Skip to main content

WARNING TMI TALKS OF MISCARRIAGE

Last year I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks, it was the hardest thing I had ever been through, myself and my partner had been trying for 4 months, getting the positive test was the happiest day of my life.
The next day after getting my positive I went to the early pregnancy centre where I had a blood test and they told me I would have to wait up to 3 days for the results. The next morning I woke up to a phone call to say the results were negative and I would have to come back in for another blood test, so I went back and they took more blood and I got the results that it was positive my HCG was 5 and that I had to come back yet again for another blood test 5 days later.
Five days later I went in for my blood test and they also gave me a scan where they saw nothing, not even a sac and they said to me it was probably just too early and to come back in 2 weeks. During the 2 week wait I got a call with my HCG results and was told they're not doubling like they should be which made me really concerned, they said I would have to do more blood tests to check the numbers.
At my next scan appointment, all they could see was a small gestational sac, to which they said we should have seen a baby and heartbeat by now. I was told I may have had my dates wrong and I might have ovulated earlier which I knew was not the case because my cycles are not that long as I got a positive 6 days before my period. At this point, I knew not to get my hopes up... During the wait for my next scan, I started to bleed which confirmed my thoughts it was not going to end well.
Two weeks later I went for my next scan which showed that the sac had grown but nothing else, I had a blighted ovum and was basically given 3 option. First was that I could wait to miscarry naturally, come in for a D&C operation or take the tablets which will make me have contractions and pass everything, known as managed miscarriage. I chose to wait 2 weeks to see if I would miscarry naturally... After the scan I broke down in tears in the waiting room, I was on my own because my partner was at work and I had to wait in a room while they got a doctor. I was so angry that they made me wait an hour in a room with no one to comfort me after telling me such heart-breaking news.
I should have known I wouldn't be fortunate enough to have a natural miscarriage, so it was another trip to the hospital where I had to pick between the other 2 I had mentioned previously. I decided on the managed miscarriage by taking the tablets in the hospital and honestly choosing that option was a massive regret.
On the date of the managed miscarriage, my partner and I headed to the hospital where we had been given a private room. The nurse came in and inserted the tablets, 5 minutes after that the bleeding came and it wasn't just a little it was a lot! The cramping was so bad and unlike normal contractions when you give birth full term you do not get a break as its just constant pain.
After hours in pain and constant bleeding I still had not passed the sac so the doctor told me I would have to wait until morning and go for the D&C.
The morning after we got ready to go down to theatre the doctor come to collect me to take me down I said to her I just wanted to go to the toilet first and when I went to the toilet I passed the sac so that saved me from having to go through with the procedure.

I wanted to share this with everyone because it is real it happens to a lot of women, we see everywhere on TV and online, even our own Facebook pages where women have the perfect pregnancy! No one really talks about the bad so when you go through it you feel so alone I don’t want anyone who is reading this to feel that way. It was the hardest thing I had ever been through and I don’t feel like I have to keep this to myself anymore, talking about it really helps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annoying Comments People Make When You're Pregnant

I get sick of all the stupid comments people make when you are pregnant for example,  '' you have no idea what you are in for'' or ''you will never have a good night sleep again''. No one ever talks about the good stuff that comes when you have your baby and it would be nice to hear more of it instead of being bombarded with negativity. When I was having a look at some books in a charity shop I had a woman ask me how far along I was, I told her I was 20 weeks and I started thinking oh god here come the annoying comments... But she said to me ''ignore all the stupid comments people make about how bad it's going to get because they are wrong it's going to be the most wonderful thing that is going to happen to you, cherish every little moment you have with them when they are young because they grow up so quick''. I was shocked at how lovely this woman was, I wish people could be more positive like her because they are the commen

Hospital Bag Checklist

When planning what to pack in your hospital bag, try to remember you may be not be out straight after you give birth. I packed for a week and after I had my baby I was thankful that I did! Although I was only in for a couple of nights, I went through everything I packed in no time. Birth and after birth is very messy from your waters breaking and postpartum bleeding. Essentials for you:  Two nightdresses - Buy two inexpensive nightdresses, one for labour and childbirth, and one to use afterwards. If you're planning to breastfeed get a nightdress with buttons. Going home clothes - Make sure it is something loose and comfortable. Underwear - You can never have too many. Baggy clothes Maternity bras and nursing bras - If you're planning to breastfeed. Sanitary pads  Toiletries - Tooth brush, tooth pastes, deodorant, flannel and non scented soap. Breast pads and nipple cream -  If you're planning to breastfeed Towel and bathrobe Bottles and formula - Even if you&#

Miscarriage awareness

I am a woman who has lost a baby. I am that 1 in 4. I will not just get over it. I am strong. I am brave. I will never forget. I will raise awareness. I will stand with others. I will not stay silent about it.                                                        My first positive test.                                                           My clear blue digital positive.                        They never gave me a scan picture so I had to take a picture on my phone.